Today is my birthday! I turned 28 years young. I feel the healthiest, strongest, happiest, and most motivated I’ve ever been. This year is going to be a great year… it’s theme is HEALTH & FREEDOM. I will be the fittest I have ever been and I will create the financial freedom I deserve. (Ha, now it’s out there in the universe!)
I get a lot of questions about my diet, exercise regime, supplements I take, how much sleep I get, etc, etc ,etc. It is very flattering! I agree it is pretty cool to look as young as my 17-year old sister and to be able to fit into all my clothes from high school. That said, I decided to focus this week’s blog post on what I do to be the healthiest and happiest I have ever been. It’s about to get very REAL up in this blog post!
My favorite foods are guacamole, kale salad, Thai coconut curry, roasted broccoli, basmati rice, sashimi, chocolate, and eggs… lots of eggs.
1. Protein: I don’t eat any red meats, pork, poultry, or dairy. I DO eat wild-caught fish, crabs, eggs, legumes, quinoa, nuts, seeds, seitan, almond milk, and lots of leafy greens (they have protein too!).
2. I eat SO MANY veggies! (Potatoes and corn do NOT count!) My favorites are kale, broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, green beans, squash, asparagus, bok choy, onions, brussels sprouts,
3. I eat SOME fruits: bananas, avocados, berries (all kinds), cherries, tomatoes, pineapple, grapes, grapefruit, plums, and a few more. I rarely eat apples, peaches, melons, kiwis, oranges, etc.
4. I am a CARB-queen! I love grains, especially rice, quinoa, corn and potatoes. I try to limit my pasta intake to 1 or 2 times per week.
5. I eat chocolate. It’s dark, organic, and fair-trade… but it’s still chocolate. I also put cocoa powder in my smoothies.
6. I am really inconsistent at hydrating, but at least I am conscious of it. I do drink various liquids throughout the day: 32 oz of plain water, 2 non-stimulant natural energy drinks (40 oz), a decaf coffee, and maybe 1 smoothie or juice.
mbrooksfit Workout Schedule:
I work out at class-based gyms that focus on weight training and HIIT cardio 5 days per week, and take a class at my yoga studio 1 day a week. This schedule will change soon with my upcoming bikini competition =)
Monday: Lower body (squats, deadlifts, lunges, sprints, etc)
Tuesday: Upper body (chest press, rows, shoulder press, flys, pull-ups, etc)
Wednesday: HIIT cardio (burpees, push-ups, tire flips, lunges, ladder drills, bear crawls, etc)
Thursday: Total body (squat cleans, clean and press, burpees, tire flips, CORE, etc)
Friday: Full body HIIT
Sunday: Yoga (heated power vinyasa or heated yoga sculpt)
I do NOT take a multivitamin. Eat a balanced diet and your amazing body will get the nutrients it needs.
I do NOT take any specific vitamin or mineral supplement. Remember, balanced diet? If you are concerned about nutrient deficiency, get your blood panel done and find out where you are lacking.
I DO take one dietary supplement (have been for almost 2 years). It’s an herbal and literally keeps my cellular stress at the same level of a newborn baby. I sleep better, have more energy, recovery faster from workouts, and maintain a healthy weight without counting calories. Maybe it’s why I feel so awesome these days…
mbrooksfit Wellness Tips:
1. Sleep: I aim for at least 6 hours, but on average get 7-8 hours. This is VERY important for healing, recovery, brain functioning and immune system health. Read my blog post a couple weeks ago about the importance of sleep!
2. Work: I make my own hours, do things I am passionate about (yoga and health), and get to be around, and have fun with, people I love and respect. I chose to have a stress-free work situation, and it was the BEST decision I ever made.
3. Hygiene: I brush my teeth twice a day, floss, shower right after working out, use a shampoo and conditioner free from any crazy chemicals, I avoid antiperspirants (I use Tom’s all natural deodorant), have an incredible anti-aging/healing skincare regime, and wash my sheets regularly. Simple, yet effective.
4. Relationship: I have been with the same amazing man for over 12 years. We are best friends, laugh together, workout together, travel together, and love the crap out of each other. Find someone who you cannot be without… then you’ll understand.
Make the decision to live YOUR healthiest and happiest life today.
**For questions, comments, concerns or inquiries email me at firstname.lastname@example.org