I wanted to get a second run in with this week’s shoe before my review, hence why New Shoe Sunday is yet again featured on Monday =) That my story, and I’m sticking to it!
This week’s new shoe:
Featured in Competitor Magazine
Spring 2014 Fit, Feel, Ride Awards: Best Innovation
1) Let’s Be Objective: (adapted from HokaOneOne.com)
- Full-length Rmat (R) midsole for maximal cushioning and suspension
- Lightweight Hoka Cmeva Top midsole
- Water Drainage System (WDS)
- Early-stage Meta-Rocker
- Lightweight External Heel Counter
- 4mm Heel-to-Toe Offset (Heel 29mm : Forefoot 25mm)
- Fluid Ground Contact Design
- Super Thin No-Sew Construction (reduce hotspots!)
- Hoka Race-Lace System (RLS)
- Gusseted Tongue and Comfort Collar
- Weight 9.6 oz (women’s)
- Comes with standard laces too!
- True-to-size. It will feel a little big at first, but when you hit the road with them you’ll appreciate the space. I like the fit best with a cushy sock, i.e. Balega’s Hidden Comfort Running Socks or Nike’s Elite Cushioned Running Socks.
- A little more snug through the toe box than other Hoka One One models, but still have enough room to wiggle my toes and accommodate an orthotic.
- Race Laces tighten easily and stay tight. If you have problems with heel slippage… you’ll have to cut them out and use standard laces.
- Super lightweight! (despite the chunky look)
- Extra ground contact and Meta-Rocker really helped me to attack hills.
- Maximal cushioning under the forefoot and heel. Not squishy like the Bondi B, but responsive with an effective suspension system. My knees were happy, especially on the downhills.
- Bucket seat feel around the heel gives lateral stability, so all you Brooks Adrenaline and New Balance 860 wearers: this one is for you too!
Conclusion: I like them! The cushioning will be great for my future long runs, and the tread is deep enough to take them on the trails. With the 4 mm offset, these shoes are fast and functional for training runs and racing. Great all-around shoe! If you’re interested in trying them out, call your local Fleet Feet Sports to see if they’re in-stock.
Local? Fleet Feet Sports Gaithersburg is hosting a Hoka One One Fun Run this Thursday, April 17th at 6:30 PM. Come by to try out the Conquest or other Hoka One One models! Love them? They will be 10% off that day only!
Thanks Hoka One One!